I've been stuck in a food rut recently. How much pasta can a girl eat!? So when I saw quinoa at Trader Joe's, I was intrigued and wanted to give it a try. I threw together a bunch of stuff I had lying around. The result was surprisingly delicious.
- 1 cup of quinoa
- 2 cups of water
- 3 cups of fresh spinach, washed and roughly chopped
- 1 cup of walnuts, chopped and toasted
- 1/2 of a large butternut squash (about a pound), peeled and cubed
- 1 tablespoon of sage, chopped
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1/4 cup of raisins
- salt and pepper to taste
I like quinoa. It doesn't taste like much by itself, which means it takes on flavors very well. It's not like any other grain that I've ever had. If I have to compare it to anything, I would say it's like couscous with a bite to it. I'm looking forward to using quinoa in another recipe soon.