I basically used this recipe ("Best Vegan Mac and Cheese in the entire world...seriously") from VegWeb, but only used about 1/4 of the oil suggested and none of the salt (since there is a significant amount of soy sauce used). I also mixed in about two cups of broccoli florets, and added some halved grape tomatoes, breadcrumbs, and dried parsley on top.
With my adjustments, the recipe is as follows:
- 1 1/2 cups of plain soy milk
- 1 cup of water
- 1/4 cup of canola oil
- 1/3 cup of soy sauce
- 1 1/2 cup of nutritional yeast
- 1 Tbsp. of paprika
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. of Spike Vegit Magic! (instead of 1 Tbsp. of Vege-Sal in the VegWeb recipe)
- 1/4 of a block of firm tofu
- 1 dollop of mustard
- 1 1/2 pounds of whole wheat macaroni, cooked
- add-ins or toppings as desired
I thought this was very good. It would have been creamier with the full cup of oil suggested in the VegWeb recipe, but it's nice and light compared with dairy mac and cheese or some of the other vegan recipes I've tried that use flour in the cheese sauce.