This is a middle eastern twist on a Rachael Ray recipe. Someone out there just rolled his/her eyes at the mention of her name, but I've been quite happy with the few Rachael Ray recipes that I've tried. I like the original recipe and made it a couple of times. The main complaint that we both had was the addition of raw onions. After 5 minutes into dinner and for the rest of the night, all we'd taste would be raw onions. I like the recipe enough that I thought I'd tweak it and give it even more flavor.
- 1 can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 stalks of celery, chopped
- a small bunch parsley, coarsely chopped
- juice from 1/2 a lemon
- 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon of ground coriander
- 3/4 teaspoon of ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground cardamom
- salt and pepper to taste
This salad has rich bold flavors but is refreshing and light. I love the combination of crunchy celery, sweet bell peppers and creamy chickpeas. The best part? No raw onions! Yay for fresh breath.